Bitter Melon and Diabetes – The Diabetes is a disease that attacks the world’s population, however, the nature of surprises one way or another provide reinforcements to the treatments used in the fight against this disease. Such is the case of bitter melon. In this article, you will learn its benefits, how to take it and what precautions you should follow.
Bitter melon How to take it?
The bitter melon, also known as Chinese cundeamor, can be taken in juice or tea.
Bitter melon juice
You can prepare it as follows:
- Choose firm melons if any type of spots or scrapes on the shell.
- Clean them with plenty of fresh water.
- Cut it lengthwise, remove the seeds and the inside.
- Put it in the blender and prepare a portion.
- Take it preferably fast.
Bitter Melon and Diabetes – Bitter melon tea
For this option you can boil 2 or 3 glasses of water, remove from heat, add a tablespoon of bitter melon powder, let stand a few minutes and take it. In case you do not have the powder, make the tea with 5 tablespoons chopped leaves, well washed and follow the same instructions.
Benefits of Bitter Melon Tea for Diabetes
The bitter melon tea is made from the stems and leaves of the plant ( Momordica charantia), being commercially available as a powder or extract for treating or preventing imbalances blood sugar (diabetes).
Also for the prevention of different degenerative diseases due to its richness in natural antioxidants , such as cancer, effects that are currently under study.
The tea bitter melon was traditionally used in Africa, Asia and Latin America to reduce levels of blood sugar in people with diabetes and according to the University of Maryland, this herbal medicine have therapeutic effects on metabolic disease, since Preliminary clinical studies have defined it that way, taking into account that at a popular level it is called ” vegetal insulin “.
Benefits of Bitter Melon Tea against Cancer
Other studies oriented toward cancer define that some of the components of bitter melon tea, would have anticarcinogenic properties , according to a publication of the journal ” Cancer Research “, in which the scientists found that the extract of bitter melon would be able to inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells in the laboratory. In natural medicine, it has been recommended as a cancer preventive for decades, as anecdotal data.
The antioxidants contained in the bitter melon plant help to protect the cells of the body by reducing the damage caused by free radicals, from cigarette smoke, pollution or environmental toxins and as a byproduct of normal metabolism . The research published in ” Phytotherapy Research ” concluded that bitter melon extracts contain a large number of antioxidants that increase the immune activity favorably.
Contraindication of bitter melon tea
Bitter melon is not recommended for pregnant women, because some of its components can cause abortive stimulation, therefore, as any medicinal herb should be prescribed by a specialist.
Prepare Bitter Melon Tea
Boil a liter of water and put one or two tablespoons of melon bitter powder in infusion after boiling water. Let stand for 6 to 10 minutes.
It can also be consumed in capsules.
Bitter Melon and Diabetes – Benefits and properties of bitter melon for diabetes
The bitter melon is a plant widely used in Chinese medicine and as food in Asian countries. It is known to relieve conditions such as cancer, parasitosis, digestive problems and diabetes.
There are several studies that indicate the antidiabetic effect of this kind plant among them you may be interested:
- It significantly reduces blood sugar levels, causing cells to respond to insulin stimulation.
- It contains a lectin that acts as an appetite suppressant.
- It has active compounds that have a large role in the regulation of glucose and metabolism.
- It has p-polypeptides, with properties similar to insulin.
- It is a great source of antioxidants, which delays the aging of cells, an important function in diabetes.
- It is important that before starting an alternative treatment consult your doctor and know their opinion on the subject.
- Bitter melon is a powerful plant in reducing blood sugar levels, ingesting it in excess or combined with medications that lower glucose can cause severe hypoglycaemia.
- Avoid taking it for long periods of time, as it can cause liver complications.
- Never give it to your children, it can be toxic.
- Check your blood sugar levels constantly, lead a healthy life, exercise, and keep your diabetes in line.