Home Remedies for Diabetes – Every day more people are affected by type II diabetes, the most common type of this disease. Diabetes mellitus is a chronic condition that develops in people with very high blood sugar levels.
Over time these levels cause an alteration in the use of insulin; the body becomes increasingly resistant to the hormone and finally, the pancreas is unable to keep blood glucose levels under control. If left untreated, diabetes can lead to serious health complications, such as cardiovascular disease, nerve damage, kidney damage, skin conditions and even Alzheimer’s disease.
Amazing Home Remedies For Diabetes
What are the types of diabetes?
There are 3 types of diabetes mellitus:
- Type 1. In this type of diabetes the body produces very little insulin or simply does not produce it. The patient is dependent on insulin injections to control their blood sugar levels. It usually occurs in children, adolescents and young adults.
- Type 2: In this type of diabetes the body produces little insulin or the amount produced is not properly absorbed by the cells, leading to high levels of blood sugar.
- Gestational diabetes. This diabetes commonly occurs in pregnant women without previous diagnosis of the disease. In most cases the disease disappears after childbirth, although it may represent an increased risk of having diabetes in the future.
¿Which are the diabetes causes?
There are two main causes to develop diabetes, in some cases the pancreas is not able to produce enough insulin to control blood glucose levels, and in others the insulin produced by the pancreas is not assimilated correctly by the cells.
- The causative factors of type 1 diabetes include environmental factors and genetic susceptibility, but more scientific evidence is still needed to determine them accurately.
- In the case of type 2 diabetes , the most common causative factors are usually certain environmental factors, obesity or overweight, and genetics.
- On the other hand, gestational diabetes is due to the effect of hormonal changes. During pregnancy, the excess hormones produced by the placenta increase insulin resistance in the cells. If the pancreas is not able to secrete enough insulin, the glucose does not escape from entering the cells and remains circulating in the blood.
What symptoms does diabetes have?
Most people with diabetes experience the following symptoms:
- Sudden increase in blood sugar levels
- Increased urination
- Constant thirst
- Gradual weight loss
- Hunger most of the time
- Skin problems , such as itching, dryness, etc.
- Slow healing of wounds and abrasions
- Susceptibility to infections by fungi and bacteria, either on the skin or in the genital area
- Fatigue and irritability
- Blurry vision
- Tingling or numbness in the extremities
- Presence of ketones in the urine
- High blood pressure
Home remedies for diabetes
Many patients need to follow medical treatment to control their blood sugar levels, but that does not have to be the only option to protect your health and improve your quality of life. In recent years there have been thousands of cases in which the patient has managed to control diabetes with the help of adequate food and multiple home remedies.
Today I propose to review the following list, where we have included the most effective home remedies for diabetes, explaining their properties and ways of preparation. There are dozens of home remedies to control your diabetes, normalize your blood sugar levels and probably, reduce the dose of medicines you use every day
1. Guava leaves: a natural hypoglycemic
According to Ayurvedic medicine, the leaves and the fruit of guava constitute an excellent remedy for diabetes mellitus. The extract of guava leaves contains a flavonoid called quercetin, which has a hypoglycemic effect and helps lower blood sugar. The long list of nutrients such as pectin fiber, ursolic acid, magnesium, zinc, manganese, niacin and vitamin C, make guava in a food ideal for maintaining balanced levels of cholesterol and triglyceride , for strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
If you want to get the benefits of guava leaves for diabetes, it is best to make a tea.
Here are the instructions:
- Place some clean guava leaves in a small pot.
- Pour 1 and a half cups of water on them.
- Boil for several minutes until the water is reduced by half and turn off the heat.
- Let the tea cool to room temperature and drink it.
To see better results with guava leaf tea it is recommended to drink two or three cups each day.
2. Nopal cactus juice: fiber vs diabetes
The nopal cactus is a great source of fiber, and that makes it a powerful weapon against diabetes. The fiber present in the cactus flesh slows down the absorption of sugar in the body, and therefore helps keep glucose and insulin levels under control. It also has anti-viral, anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, calcium, iron, quercetin and carotenoids.
The cactus can be consumed in various ways, roasted, in dishes and salads, but as a remedy against diabetes, I recommend you use it in the form of juice. You will need to:
- ½ peeled and chopped cucumber
- ½ cup of cactus
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of water
Mix all these ingredients with the help of a blender and drink immediately, preferably in the morning. You can add a little crushed ice if you wish. Keep in mind that it is not enough to drink this juice once in a while, you need consistency to see the best results in your glucose levels.
3. Cranberry plant: an insulin regulator
The cranberry plant is another of the best home remedies for diabetes, but you can not only benefit from the leaves, also from their fruit. Several studies have shown that this plant has properties that help control insulin levels and blood sugar. According to a Canadian study, it was found that the use of the cranberry plant managed to reduce the glucose levels of the patients by 20%, only in 6 days.
An interesting fact is that cranberry is rich in anthocyanidin, an effective compound in the prevention and treatment of ulcers that frequently affect diabetics.
One of the most effective variants for using cranberry fruit against diabetes is cranberry vinegar. It is highly recommended that diabetic patients drink this vinegar on a regular basis. Its preparation requires some time, approximately one month. You only have to mix a quarter of apple cider vinegar with a cup of dried cranberries, in a well-covered glass container. After a month, strain the mixture and reserve the vinegar to add it to your salads, or to drink it mixed with water.
Both the dried cranberry and the fresh cranberry can also be used to make a cranberry syrup. This syrup has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties while controlling blood glucose levels. You just have to place two cups of blueberries in a pot, crush them and add a little water to cook over low heat. When they have the thick consistency of a syrup, you can remove from the heat and let cool. Consume it alone, sprinkled on a cake or stirred into tea.
A simpler but very effective alternative to treat diabetes is cranberry juice. Place a cup of blueberries in the blender, add a little water and liquefy well. Drink this juice every morning when you wake up.
4. Turmeric: a metabolism stimulator
Turmeric is very popular for its medicinal properties; One of its lesser-known benefits is the regulation of blood sugar. Diabetic patients should not miss their anti-inflammatory and stimulating effect on metabolism, since this usually triggers a very positive response in the body, especially when you have diabetes. It even helps prevent disease in healthy people because it promotes the proper functioning of the pancreas and prevents insulin resistance. Its use as a home remedy is very simple, you can sprinkle the turmeric powder on your salads, add it to the milk or natural juices, liquefy a piece of the raw root with a little water to drink instantly. Several formulations of turmeric are currently available, for example in extract, tincture, capsules; They are also good options to take advantage of your diabetes benefits and good health in general.
5. Fenugreek: reactivator of the pancreas
Fenugreek or fenugreek is considered by many to be one of the best home remedies for diabetes mellitus, because it stimulates the cells of the pancreas to produce more insulin. Fenugreek seeds can be used in several ways, here I explain 3 options:
- Place 4 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of water and let soak overnight.
- The next morning, crush the seeds and strain the mixture to get the water.
- Drink it every morning fasting for the best results.
- Take a glass of milk or warm water and add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder
- Stir well and drink every day when you get up.
- Place 6 or 7 tablespoons of fenugreek seed powder in a small bowl.
- Add a little white pepper and 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- Stir well and add a teaspoon of this mixture to a glass of milk. You can drink it twice a day to control your diabetes.
6. Bitter gourd: decreases your medication for diabetes
The bitter gourd (bitter melon, Chinese cundeamor, balsam, tomaco) is well known for its indisputable bitter taste, but many do not know that it is also one of the best home remedies for diabetes, in fact, many call it the vegetable oigen insulin. There are many studies that prove it. Thanks to its high content of antioxidants and other healthy compounds, bitter melon has the ability to reduce blood sugar levels and helps to better metabolize glucose.
Here you can see 3 options to use melon or bitter gourd as a natural treatment for diabetes:
- Peel 4 or 5 bitter gourds, remove their seeds and cut them into pieces.
- Squash the pieces of pumpkin inside a bowl to create a paste.
- Place the pasta in a colander and squeeze to extract the juice.
- Drink this freshly extracted juice on an empty stomach every morning; you can mix it with a little water.
- Cut a bitter gourd into pieces.
- In a pan add clarified butter or ghee.
- Pour the pieces of bitter gourd and cook for several minutes.
- Eat this preparation frequently during the week to control your diabetes.
- In a saucepan, pour 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add some pieces of dried bitter melon.
- Stir well and strain the resulting tea with the help of a sieve to drink immediately. Repeat 1 or 2 times a day.
7. Mango leaves: a famous remedy for diabetes
The fame of this remedy to treat diabetes is fully deserved. Mango leaves have demonstrated their almost magical effect in diabetic patients; they stimulate the production of insulin and glycogen, regulate blood glucose levels, reduce cholesterol levels, combat high blood pressure and prevent heart disease.
The remedy with these leaves is very simple; Take 10-15 mango leaves and rinse them well. Place the leaves in water until they are covered, let them soak overnight and the next morning strain the water to drink on an empty stomach. Be sure to have breakfast after one hour. Repeat this every day for a while to check its effects on your glucose levels.
8. Aloe vera: the wonderful plant for diabetes
Undoubtedly, aloe vera or aloe vera is a wonderful plant, not only for diabetes but to treat many other health problems. It is very effective in regulating blood glucose levels and decreasing dependence on insulin injections thanks to its content of phenols, anthraquinones and fiber.
To obtain the best results, it can be used in the following ways:
- Place 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of powdered bay leaves and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Stir the ingredients well and take this mixture before lunch or dinner.
Follow the same process every day before meals to control your diabetes effectively.
- In 1 glass of buttermilk add 1 or 2 teaspoons of aloe vera juice.
- Shake well and drink this mixture every day.
You can try both options, but if you prefer you can simply take the aloe vera gel mixed with your usual juices or homemade drinks.
9. Curry leaves: minerals that remedy diabetes
Curry leaves have a high content of minerals such as iron, copper and zinc, which are very necessary to maintain balanced blood glucose levels. It is said that these leaves are especially effective in controlling diabetes in people with obesity. Some studies have shown that they can stimulate the production of insulin by the beta cells of the pancreas. It can be used in the form of tea leaving them to rest in very hot water, but the best results are obtained by chewing the leaves directly. Wash 8-10 curry leaves thoroughly and chew thoroughly to obtain their juice and swallow them. Repeat this chewing process once a day, if possible in the morning. You can also add them in your dishes, salads and green juices.
10. Indian lilac or Neem leaves: anti-hyperglycemic properties
Neem leaves are a natural remedy very popular in Asia since ancient times. It turns out that several studies have discovered that it has excellent properties to maintain controlled blood sugar levels and to increase the sensitivity of the insulin receptor, as well as improve blood circulation throughout the body. This makes neem a home remedy to take into account to control diabetes without medication.
It can be used in several ways, for example:
- Crush a handful of fresh neem leaves and then squeeze them to extract their juice.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of that juice in the morning, on an empty stomach. Repeat for a while to check the results.
- In the morning, take 8-10 tender neem leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Then place them in your mouth and chew them to suck their juice directly.
Some people simply prefer to make a tea with the leaves or buy a commercial tea, but it will not be as effective.
11. Basil or holy basil: stimulate your body
The leaves of holy basil, or tulsi in Ayurvedic medicine, have shown their effect on the glycemic index of the bloo. Several studies have suggested that its regular use can inhibit diabetes and keep blood glucose levels stable.
They can be used in different ways, let’s see the 3 most popular options:
- Take 2 to 5 leaves of fresh basil and wash them properly.
- Now put them in your mouth and chew them in the morning on an empty stomach. Repeat for a while to check the effect on your glucose levels.
- Take some fresh basil leaves and crush them well, extract a spoonful of their juice.
- Then add this juice to a glass of water or any green juice that you like.
- Shake well and drink the mixture in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Take 5 leaves of basil, 5 leaves of beal and 5 leaves of neem.
- Crush or crush all these leaves very well to obtain a fine paste.
- Drink this preparation in the morning on an empty stomach.
12. Indian prickly currant or amla: decreases your blood glucose
Among the list of the best home remedies for diabetes should not miss the Indian currant, because although its most important benefit is the reduction of blood cholesterol, it is also ideal for reducing glucose levels. This fruit is very rich in chromium, which intervenes in the metabolism of the carbohydrates that you consume and avoids the peaks of glucose in the blood. It is also known that chromium improves the ability of cells to capture and use glucose circulating in the body. This effect helps to counteract the feeling of fatigue and lack of energy typical of patients with diabetes.
Take a look at these alternatives to use Indian currant as an anti-diabetic remedy:
- Cut 2 or 3 currants into pieces, remove the seeds and place the pieces in a blender.
- Mix well until you create a fine paste and pour it into a fine cloth or sieve.
- Squeeze thoroughly to extract the juice from the pasta.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the juice obtained, mixing with 1 cup of water.
You must drink this solution every morning, on an empty stomach, to control your diabetes successfully.
- Take 1 tablespoon of Indian gooseberry juice and add 1 cup of bitter gourd juice.
- Stir well and take this mixture every day to control your diabetes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of gooseberry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek powder and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Stir well and add the mixture in a glass of water; Drink this preparation every morning on an empty stomach.
13. Flax seeds: blood sugar stabilizer
Flax or flax seeds are rich in protein, fiber and antioxidant compounds called lignans. This makes them a nutritious and healthy superfood, but their potential to control diabetes lies in the ability to stabilize blood sugar levels, reduce glycolysate hemoglobin levels, control cholesterol levels, improve kidney function and prevent diabetes in pre-diabetic patients.
Note: Flax seeds must be consumed in powder form to be well absorbed in the intestine.
Here are several instructions for you to learn how to take advantage of the anti-diabetic benefits of flax seeds:
- Add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder in 1 glass of warm milk or water.
- Stir well and drink the mixture every day with your breakfast.
- Add 1-2 teaspoon of flaxseed powder to your milk, smoothie, yogurt or breakfast cereal.
- You can also add flaxseed powder to sauces and soups.
14. Berberine: better than metformin
Berberine has become one of the best natural revelations to treat diabetes. It is a compound extracted from some plants (barberry, hydrastis, California poppy), which has shown incredible potential to control blood sugar level . In a study conducted to compare the regulatory effect on glucose using berberine and metformin, berberine was found to cause the same response, and even higher, than said medication.
This property is due to its action on the activated protein kinase, a metabolic regulator that, when activated, accelerates the mechanism of conversion of glucose into energy. Patients with diabetes who participated in the study, and only took berberine, achieved a better absorption of glucose in their cells, decreased their cholesterol and triglyceride levels, improved their sensitivity to insulin and reduced the risk of developing common complications of the diabetes.
The recommended dose is 500 mg, three times a day. It can be found in different formulations, for example in capsules, tinctures, extracts, but it is better to take it in the form of capsules to avoid its bitter taste.
15. Papaya leaves: improve your insulin sensitivity
The papaya plant offers non- negligible benefits to treat diabetes naturally. It has been found that papaya leaf extract can improve insulin sensitivity and therefore, can promote better absorption of glucose in the body. Better still, it has been observed that it can decrease the levels of biomarkers of biabetes, AST and ALT (enzymes). Papaya leaf compounds promote wound healing and prevent other secondary complications of diabetes, such as kidney damage and fatty liver.
In a pan pour 8 cups of water and place over medium heat, add 10 leaves of papaya and let boil for several minutes until the water is reduced by half. Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Take this solution in small doses every day.
16. Quimbombó: goodbye to starches
The okra, also known as okra, contains high amounts of vitamin A, C, K and B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and soluble fiber, nutrients that make it a natural stabilizer of blood sugar . In addition, its seeds contain alpha-inhibitors of glucosidase, which help eliminate starches that are then converted to glucose.
I recommend you take advantage of these benefits in the simplest way; wash 2-4 quimbombos very well, cut off their tail and head, and make a vertical slit to obtain 2 large pieces of each. Pour these pieces in a glass of water, let them soak overnight and drink this water the next morning on an empty stomach.
You can also include the okra in your regular diet to obtain its benefits, at the same time that you enjoy its flavor combined with vegetables and meats.
17. Jambul or Jambolán: exotic remedy for diabetes
Perhaps jambul is not such a known remedy, but its high content of vitamin C, iron, calcium, phosphorus and other special compounds (alkaloid jambosina, jambolina) have attracted the attention of naturopaths. The extracts of its seeds and leaves help to reduce the levels of sugar in the blood and sugar or glucosuria in the urine .
To get the most out of its properties add 1 – 1 ½ teaspoon of jambul powder in a glass of water. Mix well and drink on an empty stomach in the morning.
18. Cinnamon: insulin stimulant
Cinnamon is a great home remedy for diabetes, since its compounds improve the function of insulin in the body and reduce the levels of sugar circulating in the blood. It is argued that cinnamon boosts metabolism and slows down stomach emptying, which results in a lower increase in glucose after meals.
Take a liter of water and bring it to a boil. Add three teaspoons of cinnamon powder while the water simmers. After twenty minutes, strain this liquid and drink several times a day. Another good option is to add cinnamon powder to milk, coffee or tea.
19. Olive oil: prevents and controls diabetes
Several studies have proven that olive oil is effective in the treatment of diabetes by reducing blood sugar levels and insulin resistance . It has even been suggested that regular consumption of this oil helps prevent the disease.
You can use it as a dressing in salads, soups and meats. It is important to note that olive oil has many calories, you should limit the amount you use daily to 3 tablespoons.
20. Green tea: preventing the complications of diabetes
Green tea is beneficial to improve cardiovascular health, boost the immune system, slow down the aging process and to reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer. But if you are a diabetic you should know that several studies have found a connection between the consumption of green tea and the cure of diabetes.
As we already know, diabetic patients suffer from problems to metabolize sugar. When insulin sensitivity is lost, sugar levels can increase significantly. This is where green tea can be very beneficial, as it increases the body’s sensitivity to insulin and improves the function of the metabolic system.
A Japanese study showed that drinking 6 cups of green tea a day was able to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 33 percent.
21. Exercise: not necessary if you have diabetes
Although it is not a specific home remedy for diabetes like the others, physical exercise is, without a doubt, a remedy that can not be missed in this compilation. Exercise brings many benefits for good health, especially if you have diabetes; protects cardiovascular health, tones muscles, reduces blood pressure, strengthens bones, raises good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol, improves the respiratory system, helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces stress and increases work capacity.
Patients with diabetes should not remain seated or inactive throughout the day. It is important that you practice some physical activity, as this helps your body maintain the ability to use insulin and control glucose. It is highly recommended to perform aerobic exercises, exercises that include weight lifting and stretching.
22. Stop smoking: help your body
As in the case of physical exercise, quitting smoking is not a conventional remedy, but definitely suspending this bad habit can change your state of health in a short time. If you have diabetes and you still smoke, you should quit now. This puts you at greater risk of complications and greatly decreases life expectancy. When quitting smoking it is common for diabetics to have a temporary difficulty in controlling their blood glucose levels, but it is worth making this change in the long term.
23. Sunlight: do not miss vitamin D
Sunlight is the best natural source of vitamin D, and this is an essential vitamin to control blood glucose levels and fight insulin resistance. Exposing yourself to sunlight early in the morning (30 minutes) will help you to better manage the disease, as well as promoting the regular consumption of foods that contain it, such as tuna, sardine, mackerel, sockeye salmon, mushrooms, egg and dairy products.
It has been shown that there is a relationship between vitamin D deficiency and the development of diabetes, both in children and adults.
24-28. Homeopathic remedies to treat diabetes at home
There are many homeopathic remedies to relieve the common symptoms of diabetes and combat its causes. Among the most used are:
It is used in anxious or very restless patients, with bad mood and feeling of numbness in legs and arms.
25. Carbonic carcase
This supplement helps diabetics who have a lot of fatigue, lack of activity and problems in the functioning of the thyroid.
26. Lacticum acidum
It is highly recommended to reduce blood sugar levels and calm typical symptoms such as the need to eat compulsively, constant thirst and frequent urination.
27. Argentum nitricum
It can be useful for people who have lost a lot of weight due to excessive urination. The use of Phosphoricum acidum is also recommended in weak and thin patients.
Those patients who are at risk of developing gangrene or who have varicose ulcers, can benefit from this homeopathic remedy.
29-33. Recent discoveries in the natural treatment of diabetes
29. Goolar or gular
Goolar is a well-known plant in countries such as India, Australia and several areas of Asia due to its incredible properties and nutritional value. Goolar extract is especially good for treating diabetes because it helps lower blood glucose and increases insulin production , even in people with severely damaged pancreas. It also has anti-inflammatory effects and helps lower cholesterol.
The bael tree is native to India; all its parts, including the root, bark, leaves and fruit, have medicinal properties. Many recent studies show that the extract of bael leaves can reduce blood sugar by up to 54% , and lower cholesterol levels. Another way to take advantage of its benefits is to chew the leaves directly.
This plant is rich in ethanolic compounds that give it an anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic power . Its extracts cause a decrease in glucose levels, preventing the development of diabetes in healthy people and helping to control the disease in patients. It is usually consumed in the form of tea after having placed the leaves in boiling water.
The word gurma means destroyer of sugar, and that gives us an idea of how strong its properties are. This plant helps increase insulin production and improves cell growth in the pancreas . It also contains saponins, chemicals that keep blood sugar under control. It can be taken in the form of supplements or leaf tea, with a daily dose of 400 mg.
All parts of this plant provide natural benefits for good health, but specifically the seeds are well known for their effect on blood glucose levels. The extract of jamun seeds can cause a prolonged decrease in glucose, not only in blood but also in urine . People with diabetes can take jamun juice to improve their sensitivity to insulin and keep their blood sugar regulated, especially if combined with other home remedies, such as fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, bitter melon, etc.
34-40. Dietary remedies for diabetes
None of the home remedies we have mentioned in this article can be really effective if the person does not maintain adequate nutrition to control their condition. It could be said that eating well is the first and best remedy against diabetes .
- Avoid refined flour. This is essential to keep glucose levels under control. Always opt for whole grains (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread), instead of their refined counterparts. Although they are also carbohydrates, your body’s response will be different.
- In case of consuming dairy products, try to be low in fat or fat-free.
- Avoid sweets and decrease your salt intake.
- Avoid very sweet fruits, such as pineapple, grapes and mangoes.
- Stay away from commercial dressings and sauces, as they generally contain a lot of salt, fats and sugars.
- Instead of drinking gaseous soda and commercial juices, drink more water, green tea and vegetable juices .
- Avoid excessive consumption of red meat, and do not eat sausages, sausages, hamburgers, smoked.
41-46. Fruits recommended for people with diabetes
Cherries: the fruit with the lowest glycemic index
Among fruits, cherries have one of the lowest glycemic indices (22). But this data is not the characteristic that makes them a good remedy for diabetes, but its ability to increase insulin production and regulate glucose levels. This effect is attributed to its content of anthocyanins and fiber, to which are added essential nutrients such as beta-carotenes, antioxidants, potassium, vitamin C, iron, magnesium and folate. Eating cherries half a cup of cherries per day can also help you prevent cancer, heart disease and other health problems that often develop in patients with diabetes mellitus
41. Avocado: good fats for the heart
Because avocado is a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats, potassium and fiber, it is an excellent option to control blood sugar and improve the general health status of diabetics, preventing complications such as heart disease. high cholesterol levels and strokes.
Patients with diabetes should consume an average portion of avocado daily, accompanying salads or a healthy snack.
42. Grapefruit or grapefruit: a superfood for diabetics
According to the American Diabetes Association, grapefruit is one of the superfoods recommended to treat diabetes. It is a fruit with a low glycemic index (25), rich in vitamin C and soluble fiber. It is also rich in a flavonoid called naringenin, which makes the body more sensitive to insulin. Some people think that grapefruit juice has worked better than metformin and other medications.
It is important to make grapefruit juice at home; Most commercial products contain large amounts of sugar and additives. Consuming three-fourths of a cup of grapefruit juice a day will be enough.
43. Strawberries: anti-oxidants anti-diabetes
Strawberries have a very low glycemic index; They are rich in vitamins, fiber and powerful antioxidants that help control the level of sugar in the blood reducing the severity of diabetes. These antioxidants also prevent heart disease, reduce bad cholesterol and regulate blood pressure . I recommend eating three quarts of strawberries daily, either alone or accompanying your salads.
44. The pear: a fruit that improves insulin sensitivity
Pears are rich in vitamins A, C, B1, B2, E and fiber, while having a low glycemic index. Eating pears in moderation can help control blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, improve the immune system, lower cholesterol and improve digestive health.
45. Kiwi: an excellent source of fiber
Several studies have proven the close link between regular consumption of kiwi and reduced blood sugar levels . The kiwi is rich in vitamins A, E, potassium, flavonoids and fiber, which lowers cholesterol and high glucose levels. It is recommended to eat a kiwi every day.
46. Green apple: the best fruit to prevent diabetes
Several studies have affirmed that the regular consumption of apples can reduce the risk of developing diabetes. But this does not mean that a person with diabetes can not benefit from this fruit. The green apple is rich in vitamin C, soluble fiber and antioxidants; These nutrients favorably influence the reduction of glucose and make you feel full for longer . That’s why I recommend eating half an apple on an empty stomach to stabilize your blood sugar levels before starting your daily routine.
47-51. Basic tips to prevent diabetes
Anyone can be susceptible to diabetes, so I recommend you keep the following recommendations in mind.
- Performs physical activities . Exercise is always good to keep the body in balance; It will also help you lose weight, control stress and keep blood sugar levels under control.
- Increase the amount of fiber in your daily diet . Fiber is ideal to control blood sugar levels, take care of the health of the digestive system and prevent many diseases.
- Do not smoke or drink excessive amounts of alcohol . Both habits have been linked to an increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Avoid sugary drinks ; Instead, drink coffee, tea or water. If you need to sweeten a recipe, use stevia. Get away from junk food in general, especially from industrial bakery.
- Eat more healthy fats , such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds and fish.
+ How to lower blood sugar quickly
In addition to insulin (the medicine used to lower sugar in people with diabetes), the fastest way to lower the level of glucose is by doing exercises . The physical exercise causes the cells of your muscles to use the glucose that is in your bloodstream, lowering the blood sugar quickly.
Apart from physical activity, you can “dissolve” your sugar levels , to make it take 2 glasses of water, wait a few minutes and drink another glass. This will make you urinate and immediately lower your blood glucose levels.
Together with the previous tips, to lower sugar levels in an accelerated way use cinnamon and green tea (both explained earlier in this article), and temporarily remove carbohydrates from your diet (including fruits and whole-grain carbohydrates), to Doing so can base your diet on proteins, good fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts) and non-starchy vegetables.