Natural Medicine For Sjödren’s Syndrome – Sjögren ‘s syndrome is a disorder produced by an immune rejection of the human body’s own cells. The organism does not recognize itself and injures its own cells. In this case the attack occurs mainly to the secretory glands.
The result of this attack, the syndrome is mainly characterized by dry mouth, eyes and membranes and pain in the joints. It usually appears between 40 and 45 and affects women more than men.
The lack of saliva can produce mouth fermentations more easily since there is not enough liquid in the mouth to clean impurities which will produce an increase in bacteria that can damage the teeth or produce bad breath. Also the xerostemía that produces this syndrome is one of the causes that can originate from dry mouth and can be responsible for the appearance of diseases in the gums. Patients with dry mouth should visit the dentist frequently.
Saliva is also very important for digestion. A lack of saliva may be responsible for poor digestion.
How do I know if I have Sjögren’s syndrome?
The main symptoms of Sjögren’s syndrome are:
Symptoms that affect the salivary glands :
– Dry mouth
– Lack of saliva in the mouth
– Increase of the parotid glands
– Lack of taste for meals
– Difficulty to swallow.
Symptoms that affect the eyes :
– Dry eyes
– Itchy eyes
– Sensitivity to light
– Sores on the corneas.
Symptoms that affect other mucous membranes :
– Dry nose with possible bleeding
– Dryness in the lungs with the possibility of hoarseness or bronchitis
– Vaginal dryness with penetration pains.
Other possible symptoms:
– Renal insufficiency
– Joint pains
– Possible fever
– Gingivitis , etc.
Why does Sjögren’s syndrome occur?
The causes of this syndrome are not known without many theories are proposed:
– Genetic factors: People with relatives who have the disorder can develop it more easily.
– Hormonal factors: The presence of certain hormones could trigger the syndrome.
– Virus: the attack of certain viruses could produce a disproportionate and chronic reaction on the body itself.
It is not ruled out that the disease could be caused by the combination of the three factors above.
Diagnosis and treatment of Sjögren’s syndrome
Given the continued appearance of the above symptoms, a visit to the doctor is essential to diagnose the causes of the problem and apply the appropriate treatment. To diagnose this disease the doctor performs a physical examination of the patient to check the condition of the eyes and mouth. This scan is accompanied by a personal questionnaire on how to swallow food, if you have had fever, joint pains,
The official treatment consists mainly in the application of artificial tears to increase the moisture in the eyes and in the administration of oral medications to increase the production of saliva.
Additionally, medications similar to those used in arthritis can be used to reduce joint pain. Very affected people may require medications for the immune system.
It is advised that patients with Sjödren’s syndrome visit the dentist frequently because they are more likely to develop caries or gingivitis. Likewise, another visit to the ophthalmologist is recommended so that it covers the state of the eyes, especially the state of the cornea.
The natural treatment of Sjögren syndrome involves the use of natural resources that help to solve the disorder.
Natural Medicine For Sjödren’s Syndrome -REMEDIES FOR SJÖGREN’S SYNDROME
Phytotherapy. plants for Sjögren’s syndrome
The herbal medicine for the treatment of Sjögren’s syndrome is based on the use of certain plants whose function is:
– Plants to increase the production of saliva
– Plants to improve the state of the eyes and avoid dryness
– Plants for articular pain that appears very commonly in this syndrome
Preparations with medicinal herbs to treat dry mouth in Sjögren’s syndrome
The main plants to treat dry mouth are:
– Chamomile : ( Matricaria chamomilla ) The use of chamomile infusions helps increase the production of saliva. ( Infusion of a spoonful of dried plant per cup of water, gargle with the resulting liquid). Drink the liquid.
Gargling with the liquid resulting from an infusion of chamomile help to reduce the symptoms of Sjögren’s syndrome
– Cardamom : ( Elettaria cardamomum ) Stimulates the secretion of saliva and increases appetite); Indicated in people with lack of appetite , down, wishing to gain weight or with Sjören Syndrome. (A couple of cups a day, before meals of the infusion of 20 g of seeds sprayed per half liter of water) (Dye diluted in water before meals, according to the conditions of the leaflet)
The infusion of cardamom seeds helps to produce more saliva, which favors the reduction of dry mouth in patients with Sjögren’s syndrome
– Boldo ( Peumus boldus ) boldo also constitutes a good sialagogue remedy, since it stimulates the secretion of saliva (Infusion for appetite: take 1.5g of dried leaves in 100ml of water, 15 minutes before meals. treatments of more than 4 weeks are contraindicated)
– Green tea : ( Camellia sinensis ) Due to its bacterial properties, it is suitable to eliminate bad breath and protect the mouth against infections that cause inflammation of the gums. At the same time it produces an increase in saliva. (Perform mouth rinses with the well-loaded infusion of the dried plant.) Perform mouth rinses with the mixed infusion of tea and sage or strawberry leaves. Drink the liquid.
– Ginger : ( Zingiber officinale ) In addition to promoting a salivary increase, it protects from bad breath and refreshes the mouth. (Perform rinses with the infusion of a teaspoon of dried root per cup of water) Drink the liquid.
Ginger root improves conditions in the mouth of people with Sjögren’s syndrome
– Apple ( domestic Malus ) apple juice stimulates the production of saliva.
Preparations with medicinal herbs to cure dry eyes and irritated by Sjögren’s syndrome
As for the care of the eyes, the use of artificial drops may be necessary in many cases. In addition to these drops, we can use a series of plants that can relieve tiredness, dryness and itching. Among them we have chamomile, cucumbers, potatoes, etc.
The main plants to treat eye problems caused by Sjögren’s syndrome are the following:
– Potatoes : ( Solanum tuberosum) Apply a raw slice over tired eyes to reduce inflammation. Do not eat the raw potato .
– Plantain : ( Plantago major ) An eye bath made with the decoction for 15 minutes of time of 5 tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water.
– Cucumbers : ( Cucumis sp ) Cucumber is ideal to relax tired eyes . Apply a couple of slices freshly cut on the eyelids
Preparations with medicinal plants to reduce joint pain in Sjögren’s syndrome
Plants similar to those used in rheumatoid arthritis can be very useful in reducing pain in the joints of patients with Sjögren’s syndrome. Among all of them, for example:
– Turmeric ( Curcuma longa ): Anti – inflammatory effects of curcumin function to relieve symptoms and being a good natural remedy for joint pain (Capsules according prospect – Take turmeric food)
– Margarita ( Bellis perennis ): For its anti-inflammatory properties and its flavonoid content, the margarita is used externally against joint and rheumatic pain (boil 100g of flowers and dried leaves in 1 liter of water.) Bring to a boil and put out the fire, let stand 15 minutes, filter and apply a compress in the painful area)
– Lemon essential oil ( Citrus limonum risso ): Frictions with lemon essential oil on the joint or affected areas. Do not expose to the sun 12 hours after application as it is a phototoxic oil.
How to improve the symptoms of Sjögren’s syndrome?
– A diet rich in fruits and vegetables promotes the increase of saliva.
– Patients with dry mouth can increase salivation by chewing gum. Chewing 10 minutes every hour a gum without sugar helps produce more saliva.
– Coffee and alcohol dry out the mouth. Foods with sugar cause decay, especially in these patients who lack sufficient saliva.
– Beta-carotene supplements together with vitamin B can improve the production of saliva.
– Patients with dry mouth should drink plenty of water in small sips throughout the day so that the mouth can have the right liquid. There are sprays with artificial saliva that can be very convenient.
– The patients of dry mouth need to take care of the teeth with a special attention since they lack the adequate saliva that neutralizes the acids that are formed in it and can produce cavities. It is convenient to have a very careful dental hygiene with a brush and dental floss.